Guildford – 1940s

Military Forces took over Allawah Grove Reserve in South Guildford to use as an army camp. There was little or no alternative accommodation provided for Noongar people, who had no option but to move to relatives in Eden Hill.[xx]

In 1945, a proposal by the Church of Christ to build an Aboriginal Hostel in Mary Crescent, Bassendean was rejected, following a petition with 95 signatures to the Bassendean Road Board.[xxi]

After the tough years of the Depression, work was more plentiful for Noongar people during the war years.

Start of page