Guildford – 1827-1829

When Captain James Stirling explored the Upper Swan River in March 1827, he had little contact with Noongar people but was amazed at the ‘park-like landscape’, which was created by Noongar fire-stick farming.[ii] Traditionally, Noongar people burn sections of dry bush before the rainy season to encourage re-growth of sweeter grasses. Fire-stick farming also enabled easier hunting of kangaroos and other animals.

In 1829, over 600 Europeans or wadjelas, as they are known to Noongars, arrived at Fremantle and the Swan River Colony was established. Guildford became an important market town for Europeans, and Noongar lands, particularly around the Swan River and Guildford, were subsequently taken over by the wadjelas.

Start of page