Narrogin 1950s

In 1953 The Narrogin Observer published an article about the Native Reserve outside the town. The Narrogin District Native Council planned to replace the ‘typical native humpy’ with 15 ‘neat asbestos, wood and iron huts’, as part of the assimilation policy.

The paper reported that the first hut was given to Frank Mippy and his wife, who had ‘celebrated their Silver Wedding anniversary with members of the council and their native friends…on Saturday night…’ [xv]

In 1954 The Westralian Aborigine reported that The Coolbaroo League hoped to start a branch in Narrogin. The first dance, held in the Narrogin Lesser Town Hall, was a ‘big success’, with one hundred and fifty Noongars from Narrogin and the surrounding areas in attendance.[xvi] There was a four-piece orchestra, and Miss Eunice Smith of Narrogin ‘gave the evening a boost with her singing.’[xvii]

Start of page